The Daniel O’Connell (The Liberator) Banner was sewn by the Sisters of Charity in the late 1800”s and painted directly on two sides of silk by Halifax artist Mr. C. C. Green. The recently restored original banner is now hanging in the Saint Mary’s University Library adjacent to the display of the Book of Kells.
Extensive conservation work was required before the banner could be safely displayed for public viewing. Preservation Consultant, Ann Shaftel undertook this task which involved months of painstakes detailed work.
None of this would have been possible if it weren’t for a generous donation from the Estate of Doreen Havey.
Special thanks goes to the Public Archives of Nova Scotia for providing the work area need to conduct the conservation work.
Additional thanks to Steve Proctor from St. Mary's University for giving the banner a new home next to the Book of Kells in the Saint Mary’s University Library.